Friday, September 11, 2009

Ramadhan 08: Qur'an and Combating Corruption

Yesterday, I was going to buy books on "law of attraction", the secret, quantum ikhlas, etc. Books on self-improvement, psychological development, that kind of thing. But then I decided not to buy them. It's so expensive for those tiny books :)

I smiled. It's a funny thing that we feel that there is need to "islamized" any new ideas that is so marketable. There is a islamization of laws of attraction, islamization of the secret or probably islamization of the stephen covey's 8th habits. (and the word "islamization" is not even recognized by this automatic spelling check software!!! :D)

The general idea behind the islamization of thoughts is to show to public that Qur'an is the source of any knowledge that was and will be discovered. That you don't have to buy those books, just read qur'an, the master book of knowledge and wisdom. The One book that could give you any knowledge that you need. The One book that could solve every problems that we face. I couldn't agree more on that point. As a trying-to-be-good-moslem person, of course Qur'an is my guidance. But my critic is that you should continuously do research on that powerful book of knowledge and wisdom and discover new ideas that could be contextualized with the current situations, not by doing islamization of the new knowledge and wisdom, looking for any clues that could be the basis of it. For me, such action is only confirming that Qur'an contains universalistic values. Something that all man/woman would agree on.

Besides, it gives an idea that there are two versions/perspectives, the islamic and the non-islamic one. It seems that you should buy the islamic version, as it would be a sin for buying the non-islamic one. For me, they're only taking advantages to intervene and steal the markets of moslem buyers :)

So I began to start feeling "overwhelmed" by those books and decided to leave. Few steps from the cashier, suddenly I bumped to this book, "Kisah-kisah Islam Anti Korupsi" (Islamic stories of anti-corruption), and voila, this one looks interesting.

Will be continued... after I finish this deadly deadline article :)
My mind is so twisted :D

No comments: